Barebones CMS

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SSO client unable to load user information from the SSO server. The server may be off
Hi, I've been using the SSO software for a while now, it's all set up and been working really well. A couple of days ago I received a message from a user to say the site was not working. I'm getting the message: SSO client unable to load user information from the SSO server. The server may be offline or overloaded.

I've found a couple of posts about this but from people who were making changes or developing the sites. No changes have been made to the site for several weeks and no changes have been made to the SSO server or client for months.

Thruska recommended checking $sso_client->Init() is being called, I'm doing:
    $sso_client = new SSO_Client;
    $sso_client->Init(array("sso_impersonate", "sso_remote_id"));

I've added var_dump($result) to client/support/sso_functions.php just before exit like this:
echo htmlspecialchars($this->Translate("SSO client unable to load user information from the SSO server.  The server may be offline or overloaded."));
var_dump($result);
exit();
The result was: object(stdClass)#4 (0) { }

I've reinstated an older backup of the site (pre SSO) which is working fine and have a copy of the malfunctioning SSO site in a subdirectory so I can continue to sort out the problem.

I would appreciate it if anyone has any pointers as to what might causing the problem.

Many thanks
Here are a couple more observations:

I am not able to log into the SSO Admin page using admin_hook.php where access is restricted to admin users. I receive error:
Unable to obtain SSO server login access. Error: Unable to decode response data from the server.

I am able to reach admin.php using the IP restricted admin_hook file, however clicking any links gives error (Chrome error):
This page isn’t working www....com redirected you too many times.
Try clearing your cookies.
ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS

My PHP skills are very basic and I was wondering about the error suggestion that the SSO server might overloaded now that there are more users.
Supposing once the site has loaded and a while later the user changes a setting that needs to be saved to the MySQL database, do I need to create a new SSO client each time to check that the user is logged in? At the moment I'm running the following each time I make an AJAX call:
require_once "client/config.php";
require_once SSO_CLIENT_ROOT_PATH . "/index.php";
$sso_client = new SSO_Client;
$sso_client->Init(array("sso_impersonate", "sso_remote_id"));
etc.

Thanks
"Unable to decode response data from the server" means something very specific is going on with the SSO client such that the expected response from the SSO server is unable to be decoded.

More than likely, there is an error or notice being emitted by PHP from the SSO server endpoint into the response stream such that the response is no longer a pure (encrypted) JSON response.

Check your server logs for error or warning messages.

I fixed a number of PHP notices that suddenly started appearing for me a couple of days ago. Latest SSO server/client here:

https://github.com/cubiclesoft/sso-server
https://github.com/cubiclesoft/sso-client-php

Updating the software to the latest version may correct at least the admin issue.

The infinite loop login issue can stem from a number of separate issues and is usually cookie related. There was a fix for at least one possible mechanism a couple of months ago that I pushed upstream. Again, upgrading the SSO server and client may correct the issue there.

If you still encounter issues after updating, let me know and we can dig through it.

You only need one SSO client object that's been initialized with Init(). You're probably completely fine there. My guess is that your host upgraded PHP, which caused SSO server/client to start emitting warnings/notices, which broke client connectivity. It happens. Updating the software should make the warnings/notices go away and restore the previous state of things.
Author of Barebones CMS

If you found my reply to be helpful, be sure to donate!
All funding goes toward future product development.