Barebones CMS

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can this work with Sitelok?
We have a membership database for our organization that resides in a Sitelok database. It is a MySQL database and it includes email address, user name, and password.

I would like existing and new members to continue to register through this Sitelok database, but I would like the email address, username, and password to be passed to the MyBB database so they are registered to use MyBB.

Am I correct in assuming this plugin can help me do this?
Which plugin are you referring to? I maintain about 10 separate MyBB plugins.
Author of Barebones CMS

If you found my reply to be helpful, be sure to donate!
All funding goes toward future product development.
I am referring to your Barebones SSO client/server product. I thought that might be clear from by stated need to use MySQL tables and fields from Sitelok to initiate login into MyBB without just uploading cvs from sitelok into MyBB. I am new to this, so maybe you offer more than one solution to achieve this linkage and I just didn't understand that. Hope this clarifies.
The SSO server/client is a centralized sign in solution. You should change how you think about sign in. Under a Barebones SSO server/client setup, your users would sign in via SSO server, not Sitelok or MyBB. You would write a plugin to override Sitelok's login system and interface with the SSO client. Obviously, the relevant MyBB plugin for SSO client integration is already written.

Sharing passwords between systems is not how real SSO systems work. Also, if you are storing passwords in a way such that you can export passwords as plain text, then you have a security problem.
Author of Barebones CMS

I believe this is how I was thinking about it, though maybe not writing clearly, with one small exception.

I thought that if I could develop an SSO for this site, interfacing first with Sitelok, that the resulting SSO login then could be used with MyBB and logins to both applications would be achieved through a single interface (the SSO).

I am ready to work to build this SSO interface, but my biggest concern is how to transition the Sitelok user's passwords or logins into the SSO in a reasonably seamless manner? If that is done, then I believe using the plugin already developed for MyBB, all users in the SSO interface would then have transparent access to either application.

The other alternative I have explored is simply exporting username, email address, and password from Sitelok in a csv file then using a .php parser to load them into MyBB. This would also give all members the same access with the same usernames and passwords, but is clearly an inferior solution if the SSO can be built.

So, am I in the ballpark with my thinking about this? Can your SSO help me get from here to there?
Quote:I am ready to work to build this SSO interface, but my biggest concern is how to transition the Sitelok user's passwords or logins into the SSO in a reasonably seamless manner?

Ah. Now I understand.

https://github.com/cubiclesoft/sso-serve...ccounts.md

Has a general guide on importing existing users from another piece of software.
Author of Barebones CMS

I think this may be exactly what I am looking for. It is probably within my level of expertise and seems reasonably straight forward.

One other option I may also try is to use Vanilla Forum instead of MyBB, because Vanilla Forum has already developed an SSO plugin that works with Sitelok. The downside is that I think MyBB is a better bulletin board.

Anyway, your help and assistance has been of great benefit to me. You really are an extremely knowledgeable and helpful resource and as I work through my project I hope to return to your site and make a small contribution.

Afterall, that is how you keep the good things going!