Barebones CMS

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Client installation error: Unable to establish a connection to 'tls:...
#1
Hi Ninja thruska,

Thanks for this super app. I was happily using it in a shared hosting account and everything was fine. Actually I was just developing my first site.

Then I decided to move to production in a VPS. I am running now under Ubuntu 16.04 and used Webmin/Virtualmin to configure most of the environment. LetsEncrypt provided the certificate, which is working fine as you can see here: https://votobom.com/index.php

Problem is, in production I cannot make it work because client installation fails  with error "Failed to connect to the SSO server. Error: Unable to establish a connection to 'tls://votobom.com:443'. Info: (0)". The weirdest of all is that it worked yesterday night, I configured Google, then this error began. I can't remember changing anything else...

Now the client interface only gives the error "Unable to obtain SSO server login access. Error: Unable to establish a connection to 'tls:...". The same error I get now in fresh installations.

So what could it be? I have searched all day and installed twice from the start. I have no idea what to check anymore. (I can give you root access if you want.)

Thanks for any help, this is all that keeps me from going alive now!

Regards,

Wagner
Reply
#2
I recognize that error a mile away!

https://github.com/cubiclesoft/sso-client-php

You need to update to the latest SSO client from GitHub, which has the latest Ultimate Web Scraper Toolkit. Your server is probably configured for TLS 1.2 only but due to a bug in PHP itself, "tls://" means "TLS 1.0 only". Upgrading to the latest client fixes the issue by making requests with "ssl://" instead, which doesn't actually mean SSL (VERY confusing if you know the difference).
Author of Barebones CMS

If you found my reply to be helpful, be sure to donate!
All funding goes toward future product development.
Reply
#3
Thanks so much, Commander thruska! Fast and accurate! I'll explain in dumb terms so anyone as "savvy" as I am can understand.

I tried to upgrade the client but it could not connect yet. However, I changed the Apache config file mydomain.conf at /etc/apache2/sites-enabled in Ubuntu and it worked:

from: SSLProtocol all -SSLv2 -SSLv3 -TLSv1 -TLSv1.1
to:  SSLProtocol all -SSLv2 -SSLv3 -TLSv1.1 (change NOT recommended by thruska. See next post)

Once TLSv1 was accepted (and Apache restarted), it connected to the server. 

To understand a bit more about the SSL/TLS versions: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod...slprotocol

Thanks again, thruska!
Reply
#4
I appear to have forgotten to backport the changes from a few months ago to the SSO client. The relevant issue has been fixed. The above change to the web server TLS protocol list is not recommended.
Author of Barebones CMS

If you found my reply to be helpful, be sure to donate!
All funding goes toward future product development.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)